Sunday, March 29, 2009

Most anticipated albums for 2009

Alright, to get things started I just thought I'd gush a little bit about some of the albums I'm looking forward to this year, music for me is a really big deal, and I get all sorts of excited when hearing some of my favorite bands are working on new material. Here is a handful of artists I think are very much worth looking into this year.

IAMX - Kingdom of Welcome Addiction (May 19th 2009)
http://www.iamx.eu/

I've heard the first single from Kingdom of Welcome Addiction, and even heard some stuff played when we went and saw IAMX late last year in SF, but I can't really say honestly how this new album is going to turn out, the last album was amazing, it'll be interesting though to see if his demons finally destroyed him, or if this mash of glam and industrial decadence can continue. One honorable mention is to say another favorite of mine is singing on this album, Imogen Heap, now that will be interesting.

Imogen Heap - Untitled 3rd studio album (No release date as of yet)
http://www.imogenheap.co.uk/

Little has been revealed about this album, I've seen some of her pod casts and even some of her tactics and leads for inspiration, ie, walking through dark parks and recording noises and birds and etc, and from the little bits she's shown, it kind of has a more of a middle eastern flair this time around, which will be exciting, I am convinced she can't make a bad song, let's see if it continues.

Depeche Mode - Sounds Of the Universe (April 21st 2009)
http://www.depechemode.com/

I think it's safe to say this one is a given, everyone should know the single Wrong by now, it's pretty good, but if this album is anything like Playing The Angel, it's going to be amazing, these guys have been doing this for a very long time, and Martin Gore really is a genius when it comes to making music, I give Dave props for trying to make it on his own, but obviously the magic is when they're together.

Diary Of Dreams - (if) - (March 13th 2009 in Europe - April 14th 2009 in USA )
http://www.diaryofdreams.de/

Adrian Hates, this man is a machine who aparently is constantly churning out music, I have just barely started to comprehend Nekrolog 43, and he hits us with a new album, I've heard the first single The Wedding, and I'm in love with it, I was a little dissapointed to find out I had to wait even longer for the US release but I'm patient, if anything that alone proves how amazing this band is. What's been said about this album (if) is that it's not a concept album, and the songs are in their own right completely individual, that's a pretty big change, I think change is good though. Now if only we could get a tour from DoD and Diorama in the US, please? *begs*

Placebo - Battle For The Sun (June 8th 2009)
http://www.placeboworld.co.uk/

Some may know that Steve left the band and the threesome was finished, it was a pretty big deal to me as a fan, and I questioned whether or not Placebo would continue, but they are and they've got a new producer and record label, and a shiny new drummer, I've listened to the single for this album, and yeah it's fantastic, and it invokes that special feeling that only Placebo can bring out in me, you can just feel the excitement, and the momentum build. Meds had a profound impact on my life, some would say it wasn't up there with Sleeping with Ghosts, or Black Market Music, I disagree, and I think it definitely holds it's own, it was a huge success and I have very high hopes that this next album will boost them even further.

AFI - Crash Love (No release date yet)
http://www.afireinside.net/

I'd like to get something out in the open here about these guys, their last album in my opinion wasn't really an album and it just showed the band splitting between Blaqk Audio and the a bleak representation of what AFI can do. Now, decemberunderground was a great album, with some weak tracks, but some really great tracks as well, that could have easily been put on the Blaqk Audio project. With their new album I'm really really hoping they get back on track, they were already toying with the more synth electronica roots in Sing The Sorrow, but I really think they still nailed that dark intensity that really made them explode and break out of their own confinements. Lets hope they do it again with the new album.

VNV Nation - Faith Power and Glory (June 2009)
http://www.vnvnation.com/

Ah Ronan Harris seems to cover such grand topics, I was reading an interview in relation to the next album, and he basically says that "Of Faith, Power and Glory", or as Harris puts it: "The 3 things that people desire and which can make you or destroy you!" If Judgement is any indecation of things to come, I definitely think this is going to be a great album, Nadya once pointed out to me, that while VNV sometimes really seem to convey a doom and gloom apocalyptic imagery, there is always that trancendant optimism of hope and humanity. So for me, the news of a new VNV album just makes me happy.

Well that's my little post, if anyone has anything to add to this feel free, I very well could have left out some great new albums, also if you have anything you think I might be interested in please msg me.

Thanks for reading.

CnS.

6 comments:

  1. *runs around in circles* I'm so excited about Kingdom of Welcome Addiction. So, soo excited! Same with Placebo and VNV. This is going to be a great year! I didn't know Imogen Heap was working on a new album though. Hmmm .... I wish she would post a release date soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah me too, it's going to be a really great year. I was going to mention Apoptygma Berzerk and Combichrist, but yeah they've already dropped their records, so in the vein that this is a anticipation list... Anyhoo, yes yes, Immi is working on a new album, but I can't find any release dates or titles for it or anything, but she's posted vblogs on her myspace and talks alot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the info. It really is going to be a good music year. I'm going to have to make note of all of these. Next time you see me on IM, let me know and we'll have to do some music swapping and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I need to get that Speak Demonic from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's sweet! I think i like vnv nation, though i'm not sure. I love when new things I like come out! You should write reviews of the albums when they come out! I've always thought about writing book reviews for all the books I read on my blog. I think it would be cool to see what you think of albums. I'd like to hear about music from a perspective that get's it. Because I know how much music means to you. And I am just dumb when it comes to music some times lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, you've said you liked what you heard of them. I've written many reviews on amazon, I've thought about doing the same here, so yeah maybe I will. I've written them for music, and for games as well. Although I always think my reviews are fairly biased. I definitely think you should review your books you've been reading, it's great practice with writing man. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete