Wednesday, May 6, 2009

SRTOGS:EF


Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier, try saying that one ten times fast, I dare you! This is by far one of the longest game titles I've ever seen, with Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha versus King Abaddon, being another exception, although also a game published by Atlus! But I digress, to keep this in the vein of this new and refreshing JRPG, I'll try to explain to you why I like this game, and make a pathetic attempt to not sound like a pervert.. *ahem* This game is definitely not for everyone, and first and formost I'd like to say the amount of blatant sexual innuendos and fan service shots, is over the top to say the least. Now if that is your thing then this is the game for you. Now you're probably thinking to yourself, 'yeah, but why would I buy this game, since there are like a million other jrpgs on the DS?' this is very true, there has been an explosion of jrpgs lately for this little system, but it's a good thing in my mind. Well, what really makes this game stand out, is it's battle system, and it's light hearted humorous story, and for me this was a breath of fresh air. The battle system really does do something new, while it still plays out in turn based attacks, it utilizes a combo system, that is almost rhythm based, there is a intensity and speed to the battles that I really love and enjoy. It's a juggling act really, and you'll find yourself adjusting the skills and order of things in your party to perfectly string together a perfect combo, in order to get bonus xp, and also to fill up your gauge bar. Now once the gauge bar is full, you'll then max out and be able to pull of a overdrive move that really is amazing to watch. Aside from the refreshing game play, the rest of the game plays like your typical jrpg, with a world map, dungeons, various towns with inns where you rest and upgrade etc.. So far I've played 10 or so hours into the game, and it's held more than my attention with its beautiful roster of characters, sorry perverted, awesome mech designs, innovative game play, and pure tongue in cheek sillyness. I wanted to give this little game some credit before it's washed away in the sea of DS shovelware (Yes I'm looking at you Dora the Explorer) Show some love to your underdog unknown developers and pick up this game. On a last note, obviously this is a game for a niche group of creepy otakus, you know who you are. But who knows, this game just might appeal to more people if they give it a try. ;D

All in all I give the game 4/5

While not perfect it's definitely changes things up and does something different.

Thanks Atlus, keep the good games coming!

4 comments:

  1. This I like! Game reviews!! Sweet! I've always wanted to do some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'll probably end up publishing some more, and I'd love to read a review by you, seriously, that would be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm ready to turn otaku. If I can tell people I play a game named Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier, I'm in. Is there some sort of initiation process? A baptism by video games, manga, anime etc. for 96 hours straight maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a girl who played Chrono Trigger for 32 hours straight once.. I'm sure there have been even longer marathon sessions of certain games. I don't know how you get your otaku street cred, I think if you are not ashamed to admit you like hot anime characters, or go all ga ga over new series or figurines that could qualify you.

    ReplyDelete